Here's what I do to put these in the freezer:
- Wash beans well and snap or cut into one inch pieces.
- We snip away both ends as well.
- Cover with water and bring to boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes (until they change colors - darker green).
- Let cool.
- Drain and place in freezer bags. (My mother-in-law adds the juice but I don't.)
- Continue to cool until they can go into the freezer.
I don't put green beans in jars because I don't have a canner and was not very successful one earlier time that I tried it. Time is required for the beans to cool, but they are always good out of the freezer and so much better than those in the grocery store. Plus since we grew them, we know what chemicals weren't put on them.
When I cook these, I place them in a pot straight from the freezer and cover with water. I add onion, garlic, salt and a little piece of smoked meat (bacon or sausage) and cook until desired doneness.