Saturday, February 28, 2009

Using Up Leftovers: Biscuit Pudding


This morning my wonderful husband fixed breakfast of bacon, grits, eggs and biscuits. I've had some kind of stomach virus for the past few days and really didn't feel up to eating much. We had three biscuits leftover. A great way to save money and to lessen what we discard in the trash it to use up the leftovers.

Tonight, my husband and son wanted something sweet to eat and I immediately thought of those 3 biscuits. Here is my Nanny's recipe for biscuit pudding. The original recipe called for it to be cooked in the oven at 350 degrees until custardy. I cook mine in the microwave now. It's much faster and tastes the same.

Biscuit Pudding

3 eggs, separated
3 biscuits, crumbled
1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup Splenda which is what we use) plus 2 Tbsp for meringue
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups milk

Mix milk, egg yolks, sugar and extract. (I use a wire whisk.) Stir in crumbled biscuits. Cook in preheated oven (350 degrees) until custardy. When done, ddd egg white meringue and brown under broiler.

If cooked in the microwave, I add the whites to the pudding separately from the yolks but in the pudding. I then microwave on high for approximately 10 minutes. I stir it every 3 minutes or so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment