Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In-Season Recipe Swap - Saving Money by Using Our Garden


This week I was going to participate in the In Season Recipe Swap at Tammy's Recipes, but I didn't realize that lettuce was the main ingredient last week. I'm just a week behind, so what? I decided to post the recipe and link to the lettuce post anyway. This recipe is one way that we have been incorporating our home garden and saving money on groceries. All of the veggies in the recipe came from our garden except the onions (ours aren't ready yet).

I got this idea from a friend's party that we went to several months back. Someone fixed a layered salad and it was awesome. I decided to replicate the salad using what I had harvested from our garden. We had several items that needed to be eaten and this is what we did with them.

Our Garden Layered Salad

Lettuce (red and green leaf)
Tomatoes
Onions
Green peppers
Banana peppers, fresh not pickled
Crumbled bacon (I cheated and used the prepackaged kind)
Mayo
Sugar or Splenda

Put each of the first 5 items in order into the salad in layers. Sprinkle in bacon bits and cheese. Cover the top with mayo. Sprinkle mayo with a little sugar or splenda. I used about 3 small packets of splenda and it was great. Note: There aren't any measurements because you make to your taste.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds deliciously different! I love garden-fresh lettuce. :) Would you be able to to take a picture of what it looks like when it's made? :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete