Thursday, June 25, 2009

Frugal Fridays - Freezer Food


This week I have been freezing green beans from our garden. Thus far I've gotten 5 quart bags. All of the hard work that we have put into the garden is now paying off and those beans will sure be good come winter.

Even if you aren't a farmer or have much space to garden, you can raise a tomato plant in a regular pot on your porch or outside entryway. The best part is that it doesn't take too many tomatoes to fill a quart freezer bag.
You might also consider buying vegetables in bulk from your local produce market (which are cheaper) and putting those up for the winter.
I generally freeze my vegetables because I have an extra freezer that we use for that. If you don't have freezer space, canning jars can be used for a wide variety of vegetables.
For more frugal tips, visit here.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any advice on freezing green beans and tomatoes? Mine are just starting to flower and ripen but I know I will have plenty of leftovers. Thanks :)

    Amanda
    @ coping with frugality

    ReplyDelete